Soft Skills: the more the better… Or are they overrated?
Nowadays a lot of focus is put on soft skills like: ‘team chemistry’, ‘emotional intelligence’, or ‘being a team player’.
During this presentation I will try to make a plea those skills are overrated.
This does not mean I have something against people with good soft skills like emotional intelligence. On the contrary, I can genuinely admire a display of excellent social skills. But still, I would like to make a case that it’s ok if evolution hasn’t blessed you with those talents. I want to show you that it’s not necessary to become friends with your colleagues. Although there can be enormous peer pressure, it’s ok if you don’t participate in a team event.
There is a difference between a group of friends and a project team. And being the latter doesn’t at all guarantee a successful project.
I will also try to give some insights into life’s biggest questions like:
- Why a tester should school himself in the art of rhetoric.
- What we can learn from playing with nice play-doh colours.
- Oh no! We’ve made a collaborative group decision!
- We could be speaking German right now if one guy had possessed excellent social skills.
- What Trotsky really thinks about you.